Friday, October 5, 2007

Look, I got it for my car!


Buying anything big leads you to buying accessories either out of real need or out of temptation.

The first thing I bought for my car was an Ipod Nano, since my "budget econo-box" has a port for an MP3 player. Before buying the car I never seriously considered buying a Ipod -- even though ITunes has transformed my computer into my primary music player at home. Ipods are great, but I just thought they were a little overpriced.
Now I have gone ahead and bought a used one for $100 on Craig's List. Since it was formatted for Windows and I have a Mac, I am unable to load music from my Mac onto it unless I erase all the music the guy left on it. Among the 4GB of his songs, I did find a few dozen that I liked (but didn’t have) so I have postponed erasing it. So instead of listening to my music, I am listening to Snow Patrol, Kanye, and Fergie, courtesy of the previous owner. Truthfully I’m not using the Ipod much, since I have 3 months of free XM radio. Since my Ipod is being underused, I am thinking about buying some portable speakers for it, so I can listen at home or at work.

See how this buying thing sort of builds on itself.

Do I feel guilty? Should I? I figure I'm just spending a tiny bit of the thousands of dollars I saved by buying an Elantra instead of a Civic or Mazda3.

No comments: