Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Backstory: Figuring Out What Car I Wanted



Here were eight of the major things I was looking for in a new car:
  1. I wanted to spend about $14,000 to $18,000, though the more I could save, the more I could put into another project I am working on. $20,000 was doable, but not palpable.

  2. It had to be a killer bargain. Whether I spent 14K or 18K, I wanted to make sure I was getting the most car for my buck.

  3. I wanted high reliability. An inexpensive car that requires a lot of repairs is not a bargain. A sexy powerful car that falls apart after a few years is not a turn-on for me. I previously drove a Civic and a Corolla and a Geo Prizm (which is basically an American Corolla). Those are my benchmarks.

  4. I like my creature comforts and safety features: Sunroof, AC, ABS, comfortable seats, front and rear airbags, power windows, powerful sound system. Extras would be an MP3 player or auxiliary port for one.



  5. It had to be a compact. No SUV for me. In parking-tight San Francisco, a car under 180 inches long has A LOT more choices. That is definitely more important to me than 4-wheel disc brakes. Also I am kind of environmentally conscious and wanted to get something with at least as good or better gas mileage as my old car. While car marketers are bent on convincing us to “graduate” to bigger better gas hogging vehicles, I truly feel as I get older, I should be more responsible and be graduating to cars that save more gas and pollute less.

  6. But not a subcompact. I want to sit comfortably. I want others in my car to sit comfortably. I want a trunk to haul stuff.

  7. Decent engine power and performance. The 105-hp on my Geo Prizm was not terrible by any means. I usually kept my Geo Prizm under 3000 rpm when accelerating. Never needed to go to 4000 rpm even on short highway onramps. But I don't mind getting a little "juice" in my new car.

  8. Looks: I am a graphic designer. I like to look at pretty things. My car doesn’t have to be the sexiest thing on the road, (I don’t want to tie my ego to my car), but I admit I need my car to be fairly good looking - at least to me. Smart ergonomics are important to me, too. And yes there are some cars I would refuse to consider outright just because of the way it looks...like the Malibu Maxx.
Other Cars on My List and Why They Didn't Meet My Requirements:
  1. Honda Civic: Was only interested in the 06-07 body style. Heard some bad things about it dash layout, but I didn’t think it was troublesome at all. Excellent well rounded compact, but it was difficult to get a good deal on one either new or used. Demand is too healthy for it. Even a 2005 Civic EX with 24, 000 miles on it cost more than a well-equipped brand new Elantra.

  2. Scion TC: Love the look of this car inside and out, but it is too small and gas mileage is not very good for a small car.

  3. Mazda3: Very popular with its zoom-zoom sportiness. Interior is very cool. But again even a used one with the features I wanted(like the sunroof) cost at least 17,000 used and 19,000 new. I did find an automatic for 15,000 but it had manual windows. Also my gut feeling says Mazda's reliability is not as good as Hyundai's.

  4. Nissan Sentra: Very roomy new design (also classified as mid-size), but I heard questionable things about their CVT. Reliability not as good as Hyundai.

  5. Pontiac Vibe(used): (Runner-up) This is the twin of the Toyota Matrix, so the reliability is there. I thought it was cool that it is built at the same plant in Fremont, CA, my Prizm was built. It costs more than a Matrix when new, but it doesn’t hold its resale value as well. So a used Vibe can be an excellent value. I really loved the way the seats fold completely flat. I could’ve put my bike in the back without taking off its wheels or putting on a rack. It was fun to drive, too.



    I found one with a sunroof for about $13,900, but it did not have ABS or rear air bags and the interior is very bare bones, unrefined feeling. If I spent 14,500 on an Elantra GLS it would have ABS, 6 airbags, bunch of other stuff, and the interior of the Elantra just makes you feel like you are sitting in a nicer car. Plus it would not have 25,000 miles on it and almost no warranty left. So in the end a used Vibe just didn’t stack up as well value-wise to a new Elantra. But still very nice...it's very under-appreciated car in this class in my opinion.
    .





So how well does the Elantra meet my 8 requirements?
  1. Price: My negotiated price was under $17,500 including tax/fees for a SE (middle trim) with a sunroof...well within my price range.

  2. Was it a bargain? By far the Elantra has the most features for the price of any compact car. But with the $2000 rebate, it was an even more appealing deal. Plus there was room to negotiate even lower.

  3. Reliability: Time will tell for this new redesign, but according to Edmunds and other hearsay, Hyundai’s quality/reliability has come a long way. Kelly Bluebook highly recommends buying a used Elantra. That speaks volumes. JD Power Initial Quality rating is very high on this car. Great warranty to back up the quality.

  4. Features: It is the only car in its class with 4 disc brakes. And it is the least expensive! The features list is absolutely stellar. front, rear and curtain airbags, heated mirrors, 16” alloy wheels, steering wheel mounted stereo controls, ABS with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, illuminated door switches on all four doors, cabin air filter, fog lights….Sweet! My sunroof was installed aftermarket, but it was included in my negotiated price.

  5. It is a compact 177 inches, which means I am hunky-dory in the parking fight dept. But it is also roomier enough inside to be classified as a midsize. But at the same time it gets a decent 28/36mpg and - bonus - it is classified as a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. Very green.

  6. It has pretty decent leg room even in the back. You don’t feel you are sacrificing comfort for space or for price. The trunk is a nice size, too.

  7. Decent engine power and performance? The California SULEV version gets 132-hp out of its 4-cyclinder 2.0 liter engine. It has some pep to it. Performance-wise it is not a slalom king, but some reviewers called it a fun car to drive. Suspension could be better damped and less floaty, but otherwise it meets my expectations fine.

  8. Looks: Its exterior doesn't have the distinctiveness of a current Civic or a Mazda3. But in my opinion, it does look a lot more cooler than the previous Elantra or the bland '05 Civic. The rising beltline and wide stance gives it much more confident look.

    The 5-spoke Euro-flange alloy wheels adds sportiness, without being too pretentious. The straight-on side view reminds me of some Dodge or Pontiac sedan (especially how the rear window tapers), but from most angles it is really handsome. The interior, as I said before, makes you feel like you are in a more expensive car. It is mostly plastic, but the California Hyundai design team makes excellent use of textures and metallic tones. The cloth seats have a plush feel, but I think the material attracts dirt too easily.

No comments: