Saturday, September 22, 2007

First Post: Chronicles of A Hyundai Elantra Owner


This might be a terrible idea for a blog, because I don't intend to obsess over my new car for much longer. But after buying my first new car ever I find myself thinking about it way too much. I am not a car nut. I generally don't care that much what people think of me and especially what I drive. But after finding myself the owner of a new Elantra, I feel compelled to find out as much as I could about the car (as if I didn't know enough already after many hours of research on it and other cars over the course of two months.) It is a strange feeling...it's not like I bought a BMW Z4 or an Orbea Orca.

After a few weekends of Googling.

-I have went on YouTube and looked at the Elantra commercials (old and new) and the TV car reviews.
-I've seen home-made videos of dudes racing their Elantras.
-I've discovered that there are not one but two Elantra enthusiast sites. (Elantraclub.com and ElantraXD.com). People actually trick out their Elantras. People are actually proud of their Elantras. Shocking.
-I found out that the previous Elantra platform was known as the XD and the new 2007 platform was codenamed 'HD'.
-I found out Hyundai had a JDPower Ranking about Toyota and Honda in 2006, but went down to #12 in 2007 because of issues with their mini-van or SUV(not sure which). But the Elantra fared well fortunately.
But this isn't half of what I've learned on my web surfing binges.

I will first be posting some backstories of how I came to buy a Hyundai, a brand that still doesn't get much respect in the US, especially in the SF Bay Area, where Hondas and Toyotas have ruled for eons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.