Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Elantra at 6 Months/5000 miles

Odometer: 5025 miles
Avg. MPG: 24.6
Price for gas last paid: $3.76/gallon

Not much new to say performance wise. It is still a enjoyable car to drive. If Hyundai did their job right, I really don't expect much change in the next 15,000 miles.

I have one issue I have noticed regarding the Elantra's suspension.
I already noted that it is slightly floaty on undulating asphalt and body roll is minimum in the corners. This is in keeping for a compact family sedan where comfort is more desirable.

New observations:
1. Potholes not taken under 30 are more pronounced than those taken at speed. That I guess is to be expected. Suspension should be optimized to respond to bigger "hits" encountered at higher speeds.
2. I drive on a side road along the train tracks that is pretty bumpy and broken. I have to go over a set of railroad tracks where the asphalt is very lumpy. I have to go over them at angle. It makes the car's suspension rock back and forth fairly annoyingly...maybe even slightly worse than the old Geo Prizm. I guess it is a weakness of this type of suspension.

I am still thoroughly amazed at how much more car I have gotten over the 1993 Geo Prizm LSI, which would have costed pretty close to $17,000 even back then. Cars in general are so much better equipped these days, yet prices don't seem to have gone up in relation to the upgrades.

Check out this list:
1. Five more air bags
2. Vanity light
3. Alarm
4. More powerful and sophisticated stereo
5. Fold-in heated side view mirrors
6. 28 more horsepower, bigger engine, CVVT
7. Bigger tires, bigger car
8. Disc brakes vs. drum brake
9. Alloy wheels vs. steel wheels
10. Leather steering wheel


Now for your entertainment pleasure, a new Elantra commercial not shown in the U.S. It quite cooler than the warm fuzzy one with the circus music, but over the top in some places.

No comments: