Sunday, September 23, 2007

Ownership Upate #1


Had the car 5 weeks.
Odometer: 730 miles


Just filled my tank for the second time(third tank of gas overall, since dealership gave me a full tank to start). According to the trip meter, the average gas mileage on this second tank was 27.2mpg, which to my relief is a lot better than the 23.9(or so) from the first tank. This car is supposed to get 26/36! And the mpg from that first tank was making we wonder if I should've sprung for a Prius!

When I got gas I just let the pump auto-stop. It made a disconcertingly loud sound at shut-off. I hope it is OK. I've heard on one Elantra owner who's gas pump interface malfunctioned. I've had a Mustang rental that did this. We thought we would run out of gas because, the interface refused to engage the pump. Eventually we found a trick to let us get some gas in it.

Tonight on an 8 mile stretch of highway I averaged 38.5 mpg at the end of the stretch, so that was pretty impressive. So I guess the engine/transmission is breaking in OK. (No I wasn't going 55)

Today I found a crack on the foot rest (area for your left foot to rest). The foot rest is made of gray plastic, but I didn't expect it to crack. The foot rest on my Geo had a rubber layer like the gas pedal. I wore out the rubber, but never broke it. I am definitely going bring this up to the dealer to see if the bumper-to-bumper warranty covers this. I don't remember accidentally putting excessive weight here or kicking it. Even so this area should be engineered to withstand long-term use. It is not a big deal. I can still rest my foot on it, but Hyundai should redesign this.

No comments: