Friday, February 8, 2008

What I Might Buy If It Were 2009






I was seriously shopping a Pontiac Vibe along with the Elantra last August. I was considering a hatchback/wagon mainly because it would allow me to transport my bicycle(s) without needing an aftermarket rack. Currently I use a rear rack which I take on and off everytime I take the bike off. These aftermarket rear racks are easy to remove off a car, so I take it off and hide it in the trunk even if I am on a short ride. Not having to have to do that would be a substantial convenience.
The Vibe had that utility and lots of other desirable aspects. Where it came up short was in the price. Compared to the Elantra, the Vibe is overpriced.

In late 2008, Hyundai will be introducing the 2009 Elantra Touring, a 5-door aiming to be competition for the Vibe, Matrix, and Mazda3 wagon. It has just been confirmed last week at the Montreal International Auto Show that it will basically be a renamed Hyundai i30 wagon, a new model sold in Europe and parts of Asia. It has some pretty nice lines, so I think it would do well in the U.S. I am not thrilled with high reaching tail lights or the rip-off Honda Civic-like front grill. The wagon looks a little less sporty than the i30 hatchback( which has gotten nice reviews on CarAdvice.com.au and Autocar.co.UK), but you gain 9 inches in length for cargo. No big loss since the i30 hatchback doesn't look all THAT sporty when standing side by side to the Saturn Astra 2-door or Mazda3. The Vibe and Matrix have also gotten redesigns for 2009, so the Elantra Touring will face an uphill battle, though personally I think the new Matrix is a bit weird looking.

I don't know if the Elantra Touring will have the great perfectly flat folding rear seats of the Vibe/Matrix. But if it has that AND is as good a value as the Elantra sedan, it would definitely be on top of my list--- if I were looking for a car in 2009. If not, then I might consider one of these. (All pics in this blog "zoom" if you click on them)





No comments: