Thursday, February 7, 2008

Does Your New Car Make Others Around You Want New Cars?


I sort of think it does. Not that I expect the majority of folks to act on that want.
On a personal note, I have seen my brother buy 3 progressively nicer cars over the years, while I just kept on truckin' with my Geo. He is kind of hard on his equipment and it is in his nature to upgrade. I wonder how many new cars he saw his pals or co-workers buy that might have stoked that nature. I was really quite content when he bought his last two cars, but when he bought his current vehicle a tasty red 2006 Mazda CX-7, I'd admit my car was looking really really old by comparison and I was thinking about getting something new even back then

What made me bring this up is my neighbor, which I park next to almost every day, last month got a new black 6 series BMW sports coupe (2007). His previous 2 vehicles had been pewter grey. Did seeing my black Hyundai encourage him to go out a black B'mer this time? Who freakin' knows? And I ain't gonna ask him. His car is wicked cool in black though. It's got way huge 19" tires and 228 more horses than an Elantra. But it costs as much as 4 Elantras put together.

Adding to that, this week another neighbor just replaced their Sebring with a Solara.
UPDATE: (2-28-08) Another neighbor just turned in her 2004 Civic for a Lexus IS250. The 4-car car port at my complex now has 4 cars all less than 6 months old.

Odometer: 4023 miles
Avg. MPG: 24.5

No comments: